Friday, February 10, 2006

Is there no end to it all?

I've just finished Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. It's a real interesting book, talking about how an alternate future was created by sending people back to the past and stopping Columbus from going back to Spain.

What's interesting is that they created a tolerant Christianity in America, one which is able to tolerate other religions and live in peace with everyone.

That of course is utopian. It's hard to find a religion that is tolerant of any other. Of course, I do not feel that it's the religion that's not tolerant, insead, it's the people practising the religion that's not tolerant. The Bible / Koran / Scriptures are all just words, and people choose to interpret them in ways that suits them.

Most religions starts with the aim of making the world a better place for everyone to live in. And yet.. Looking around, I'm ashamed. I don't approve of the newspapers publishing those cartoons, but even more, i disapprove of those who uses violence to prove themselves. Only savages use violence, people argue and reason things out.

Violence only brings about more violence. We are already in the 21st century, do we have to resort to such violence?

And it's sad, coz it's really just that few bad apples. Most of them are not so, I do know a few and they are peace-loving people like the rest of world. It's just that few bad seeds that's giving them a bad name.

What to do?

I remembered I was watching the Discovery show on the Bali Bomb Blast. I was almost crying at the end of the show, feeling very sad both for the victims and the bombers. Whatever possessed them to think that by bombing the pubs, they would be doing what god wants? I'm sad for the bombers' family, for their sons to die for a cause that's questionable.

I'm sad for the victims. They are there to have fun, and suddenly, their lives get shattered literally. It really puts your life in perspective.

No comments: